Geranium essential oil is a versatile and fragrant oil that has many benefits for skincare, haircare, and emotional healing. Despite often being treated as a cheaper replacement for rose oil, geranium oil is one of my favorite scents. Here are five facts you should know about this ubiquitous yet underrated bloom.
- The Legend: Legend has it that Prophet Mohammed hung his sweaty shirt on a shrub while he prayed on a mountain. When he came back to retrieve it, he found it covered in fragrant flowers, and thus, geranium was born. Other myths and beliefs surround these flowers, including the use of pink geranium in love spells. The sensuous fragrance of geranium can easily create an aura of romance.
- All That It Needs: Geranium is a non-demanding flower that is easy to grow. It blooms in any soil, loves sunshine, and requires very little water. While geranium grows in many countries, one of the best varieties can be found in Ooty, South India. These colorful blooms can be grown in balconies, terraces, patios, or even window sills. They not only add fragrance and color to your environment but also show you how to give without expecting anything in return.
- Rose-like: Geranium essential oil contains an ingredient called geraniol that is also present in rose oil. Some varieties of geranium smell like rose, and the essential oil is often used in formulations to replace or complement the scent of rose. Geranium is also a great healer for the skin and is often used in skincare formulations to get the benefits of rose and to have a “rose-like” smell.
- The All Rounder: Geranium essential oil is antibacterial, antifungal, antispasmodic, and a great cleanser. Its fresh, floral, spicy smell with overtones of citrusy notes makes it a wonderful uplifting scent. Due to these qualities, it is extensively used in aromatherapy formulations for skincare, haircare, and emotional healing.
- As I Like It: I use geranium essential oil in all my (Jhelum Loves) formulations like Divinity Face Cream, Roseate Face Oil, Revivere Hair Tonic, and Elixir Face Oil. Geranium essential oil is one of my favorite scents, and it adds a luxurious touch to my products.